Friday, April 18, 2008

Time Out- Margaret's Chicken Pot Pie

Every once in awhile I'm going to break in here with some recipes or thoughts on hostessing.

I'll call them "Time Outs"

When my first daughter was born, our church arranged for people to bring us meals. Our first meal was provided by a great lady, Margaret.

Margaret brought us the most delicious Chicken Pot Pie. To this day, every time someone has a baby or needs a meal, I make her Chicken Pot Pie. I've changed it up a bit. My good friend, KM, suggested that I might make it creamier and so I took her up on it.

Oooooh, la-la Margaret's Chicken Pot Pie

1 1/2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cans cream of celery soup (low fat is best)
1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust
1 can Veg-All or Organic Mixed Veggies
Pepper

Cook the chicken breasts in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove from water. Slice into bite size pieces. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bottom pie crust in pie dish. Drain Vegetables. In a bowl, mix together soup, veggies and chicken. Add a little pepper. Pour mixture into bottom pie crust. Top with 2nd crust. Cut a pretty vent in the top of the crust. Cook for 50 minutes to one hour.

Now, you've probably realized by now that you are going to have 1/2 a chicken breast and 1/2 can of soup left. I've resolved in my mind that whenever I fix this for someone else, I fix one for our family too. So, just cook 3 chicken breasts, have 2 cans of the veggies, 2 cans of the soup and 2 sets of pie crust and you'll be set. A meal for you and a meal for another family or friend. When I make it for my family, I love to call up a neighbor out of the blue and offer to make one for their dinner too. Never had a neighbor turn me down! Who wouldn't love a night off from cooking?

We typically serve this with a green salad or a bowl of fresh fruit.

Enjoy!

No comments: