Monday, December 1, 2008

Applesauce




I tried my hand at homemade applesauce. It made the house smell wonderful. It tasted pretty good and it made me think how yummy it would be over vanilla ice cream.

Here's the recipe:

4 to 6 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.

Kelly note: The applesauce can get kinda sweet. But I love sweet, so I asked my hubby and he said the same...this is good, but...we could probably cut back just a little on the sugar. So you are going to have to figure out if it needs less sugar or not. I would suggest making it once and then making the call for future batches. I think it will probably depend on the apple as well. I actually made 3 batches of this stuff tonight b/c I had so many left over apples from Thanksgiving.

No comments: