Monday, January 12, 2009

The First Meal I Cooked and Delivered.

Stress. I still feel stress when I think about the first meal I volunteered to bring over to a family with a new baby.

Good grief.

Okay, let me tell you all the things I did wrong. First, I decided to cook a recipe that I'd never made before. Keep in mind, that I barely cooked to begin with and I decided to make a gourmet roast chicken. Also keep in mind that I still had a baby at my house, so this was an ambitious project for me. Also, it was an expensive recipe to make.

So that's all the things I did wrong. The meal was late, I was a wreck. I am pretty sure I neglected my own kid trying to get it ready.

Why do we feel the need to impress people? It just ridiculous. When I realized that I was in over my head, I should've called the family and said...your dinner didn't come out the way I planned for it to. Could I please bring you guys your favorite take out? Chinese, Pizza, or curbside service from a restaurant?

Sometimes it is just best to realize we have limitations. When you are doing something for someone else, and you try to go over the top, you have to realize that you may be missing the whole point of caring for the other person/family. It's not about how well it came out. It is about helping when there was a need.

This particular time in my life is just another example about how I made showing hospitality/helping others about me and not about those I was trying to help.

Having been on the receiving end of meals after a baby was born, it's just nice not to have to think about what to cook. Your tired, emotionally exhausted and hungry...it's just good to have someone bring food and put it in front of you.

Gourmet Roast Chicken...what a nuthead I was. Seriously. I barely knew how to use my gas oven! I didn't even know what a roasting pan was. I was a mess!

No comments: