Saturday, January 17, 2009

Money and Energy Saving Tips

So, I have a recipe I hope to publish on the blog later today. So, come back and visit!

In the mean time:

I just read energy saving tips on our Electric Company's website. It says most of the cost of drying your clothes, comes from the the heating element/coil in the dryer having to heat up. So, it says keep a continuous cycle of clothes drying going, so the heating element doesn't have to heat up over and over again. So I've switched doing doing laundry on certain days, instead of everyday, in order to save money and energy. It's actually worked out well. I am also hanging up more and more of my clothes to air dry. I've been doing this with my daughter's jeans and I promise she's been getting a lot more wear out of them.

I've been cooking a lot of chili, soups and spaghetti sauces. I have decided as long as the stove is on and the kitchen's a mess, might as well spend a bunch of time cooking and preparing stuff to freeze, to save time and energy later.

I requested a bunch of bar towels/mops for my kitchen, in an effort to save paper towels. That has also worked nicely.

I got a a Brita Ultra Water Pitcher/Filter system for my fridge. It has already saved us a bunch of money from having to buy bottled water. Bottled water was a must in our house, since I have a sensitivity to our town water.

I turned the drying cycle off on my dishwaster. Who cares about a few water spots? And the plastic never dried anyway, so just opening up the washer at the end of the cycle and letting it air dry, is making a difference.

Now if I could just convince my three year old to stop turning on all the lights.

No comments: