Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Red Plate


I heard about these plates "You are Special/The Red Plate" a few years ago. You use them on special days to recognize someone in your family. A mother of 3 teenage girls told me, she the red plate when raising her girls. She pulled it out on their birthdays, days when someone had reached an exciting goal or was recognized for something and then on days when she felt like one of her girls (or her husband) really needed some encouragement. That family also tied the tradition of everyone going around the table saying something special about the person who had the red plate. One day this mom was having a bad day, one of her girls was slated to set the table, she started to serve dinner only to find, that there was the red plate sitting in Mom's spot at the dinner table. Then everyone in her family went around and said how much they loved their Mama. It meant so much to her that her children would love her that way. She cried and has always remembered their loving words.

Here is our first use of the red plate. We used it to serve my husband breakfast on his birthday. Thanks to my sis-in-law, CB, who gave it to me. I've always wanted one! I've had friends that used the "red plate" or they went to a paint your own pottery place and made their own. There is a pen that comes with the red plate that allows me to document when we used the plate.

No comments: