Thursday, October 2, 2008

Homemade Cakes!




Okay, first of all- I can't take credit for this. My friend Laura did this. She is quite talented as you can see. It is inspiring though. It kinda makes me want to venture or dabble in cake decorating a bit. My Grandma (Mimi) used to do cake baking and decorating as a ministry to others who couldn't afford elaborate wedding cakes.

One of my favorite Mimi cakes ever, was her Easter cake. Oh, it was fabulous. A basket and bunny shaped cake, with easter egg shaped cupcakes. Oh, those were marvelous! Once there was time Mimi made a girl scout cake fore me shaped like a little girl in a brownie uniform. I see pictures of it now and remember how special I felt.

My sister is the only one who has her cake recipe. Every once in awhile my sis will bake Mimi's recipe and I'll bite into the cake or cupcake and tears will just well up in my eyes. It is just like Mimi is there with us, a piece of her for us to cherish and remember.

What's so neat about Laura's cake is first of all it is Pablo from Backyardigans!!! 2nd of all it looks way professional. But most of all, her son will be able to look back at this picture and say, "My Mommy did this for me." And that'll be a memory he'll get to cherish.

No comments: