Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sugar Cookies

I see 250 star shaped sugar cookies in my future. This was actually a good idea that took a wrong turn.

I thought for sure that a local grocery store would be able to make me 250 star shaped sugar cookies. Not the case--most of them have their cookies shipped in now. They don't actually make them in the store they are made at their store's headquarters. Then I called the independent bakeries all over town, some as far as 30 minutes away, everyone wanted .75 to $1 for a cookie! Some offered a 15% discount...that's still $200 bucks.

So, what are they for? We are doing "stars of thanks" at my daughter's elementary school. Originally, we were going to randomly select 100 students and asked them what they were thankful for about their school, teachers, etc. (In keeping with the Thanksgiving theme for Nov.) Then I was going to string the stars up in the teacher's lounges and put star shaped sugar cookies on a platter with drinks to the side. But when I pitched the idea to the Principal, she decided she wanted each student to participate! That's over 1,000. Good thing the school is going to handle the paper star part, and we just have to handle cookies and beverages.

Think I am going to need to find my "inner baker" for this project! And my Mother in Law just volunteered her kitchen and double oven for baking. So this may turn out to be a bunch of fun.

No comments: