Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ok, Sugar Cookies!!

Alright, the point of this blog is to make sure I understand that Hospitality can be a gift for some folks, and it might be harder work for others. I find it can be hard work for me, but it is getting easier the more I try. The point is, sharing food with others, having them into your home, etc. doesn't have to be perfect every time. Doesn't have to be a candle light dinner, doesn't have to be gourmet food...sometimes sharing a pizza with your neighbors and a pan of brownies is a lot of fun!

Last night my 3 year old and I made sugar cookies together, but as we got closer and closer to the finished "dough", I realized it was looking more like cornmeal than dough. Hmmmm, I looked over the recipe about 10 times before I realized I used salted butter instead of unsalted butter.

I was frustrated. I had big plans to share these cookies with a friend and spend time with my daughters decorating them and they weren't going to turn out. I had to apologize to my 3 year old that they didn't seem to be quite right and we weren't going to be able to bake them.

Much to my amazement, she replied, "Mommy, it's okay--still tastes good to me!" She ran her finger a long the beater and put her finger in her mouth and smiled a cookie dough kinda smile.

So, while it didn't turned out as a planned, I did get to spend some time with her and I learned a lesson about carefully checking my indgredients.

I love kids, they take things in stride a lot better than us adults do sometimes.

No comments: