Saturday, July 26, 2008

A really good tofu recipe...

It's been a while since I've posted anything....we've been fighting stomach bugs and fevers around here...seems like it's unending for us! Anyways, I have a really yummy tofu recipe that I wanted to share with any interested parties. :) I know that sometimes just the thought of tofu isn't appetizing at all, but this dish is delicious (i promise)...my husband (who is a picky eater) and my kids (2 picky ones) even enjoy this meal. Here are the ingredients:
1 package of firm tofu (i get the nasoya brand from wal-mart)
1 pound of ground pork or turkey (pork is tastier, turkey is better for you)
seasonings: dried or fresh garlic, dried or fresh ginger, soy sauce
about 1 cup of heated chicken broth (mixed with some flour/cornstarch)
Basically, I take the brick of tofu, microwave it for 1 1/2 minutes and then cut it into little cubes. While that's microwaving I cook and drain the ground meat...then I add the tofu and seasonings to taste and stir in the chicken broth mixture (just to make it saucier)....and simmer that for a little bit. We always serve it over rice....and tonight I just added a can of green beans for our vegetable. Mmmm....I even have some leftovers which I am very excited about. :)
Anyways, I hope that someone will try this (let me know if you do!). Tofu definitely has a stereotype to it that can be hard to get past, but I'd challenge you all to step out on a limb! (btw-i get a brick of tofu and microwave and cube it up for my 4 year old and twin 1 year olds...they would eat the entire thing if I let them!)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Karen, b/c you are my good friend and I trust you, I am going to try this tofu dish. I have to be honest I am quite a skeptic. But I'll give it a try. :-) Let you know how it turns out.