Sunday, September 21, 2008

Japan is a super clean culture....

Once again my post doesn't have a ton to do with hospitality, but some fascinating culture things that I encountered as a guest in several homes in japan. One thing was the fact that the toilet's had a sink on top of the tank....what a smart idea to conserve water by using the water that is filling up the tank (after flushing) to wash your hands with! I was very impressed with the conservation efforts.
Being asian, I have grown up in a home where we take our shoes off in the house...but being american, I have definitely been at liberty to wear my shoes in the house, too. In Japan, you take your shoes off in every house you enter. They provide you with slippers to wear (if you would like to) around the house. There are a pair of slippers that are in the restroom and those slippers never leave that room. So, if you need to use the facilities you leave your house slippers at the door and put on the toilet slippers. It's definitely took a little getting used to and there were several times that I walked out of the restroom with the toilet slippers on, but in all it speaks to the cleanliness that is a part of the Japanese culture. My husband preached a sermon at church in his socks last sunday. :)
I have other stories to tell, but jet-lag has been amazing....(on top of coming home to the 5 kids), so until next time!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hey, KM! Welcome back!

I think I'd go crazy if I had to keep up with that slipper thing.

I thought the reuse of water on the toilet was brilliant.

Glad your home!