Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Extroverted Children

How does it happen? I mean you would think that at least half of our family would introverted but I am outnumbered. I am the lone introvert of this family.

The other day we went to a restaurant to try dinner out with our very energetic 3 year old. The waitress comes up and introduces herself, at which point my three year old loudly states, with her hand on her chest and eyes wide open, that her name is...., and this is her dad, Ty and her mom, Kelly and her big sister. Our waitress was laughing so hard and so surprised that she was actually speechless. So were we.

At the check out counter for every store I go to, she says...Hello, my name is...., what's your name? This is my mommy, Kelly. It makes the store clerks smile, and in a way is a great interaction, how often do you look the store clerk in the eye and talk with them? My little one has given me no choice but to take time to visit with the person helping me out.

And when we are at the park, she introduces herself and then introduces me to her friend and then asks if the friend would like to come over to our house. The new friend will be a complete stranger-but that is no obstacle at all for my people loving 3 year old.

My older child, the same way. She can join a group of children playing and by the end of play time, she's swapped phone numbers with them and dreams up ways that they can all get together again. She is constantly writing old teachers and friends, reminding them of how special they are to her.

When these kids were still in the womb I guess I did pray "extroverted" things for them. The oldest I prayed would be someone people would want to be around and that she'd have a strong faith and my little one I prayed would have a contagious joy and caring personality. God gave me just what I hoped for. Don't get me wrong--- they challenge me on all sorts of levels b/c we are so different, but it must be nice not to be limited by an introverted personality.

And in the scheme of things, I think my kids may have it right--they treasure the people around them and want to spend more time with them. That just gives me something to think about...

2 comments:

Tobryant said...

My son has high functioning autism and he is and extrovert which used to mean he aggressively pursued other children and they ran terrified in the other direction.

He has a little better handle on his autism now and each day he comes home and says "I made a new friend today". I always respond - that's great!

But I'm an introvert like you. So when he says "I made a new friend today." Inside I think - oh how terrifying a new friend everyday. It is painful even to consider. I am more comfotable with "I sat in front of my computer again today!".

Kelly said...

TO- You make me laugh! I feel the same way sometimes. But I think I am getting better. I love people, it's just the getting outside "the box" that's the problem. Plus, I am a list maker- not on my list? That maybe a problem for me. I have to let go of my fixation on agendas. Sending you an email....