Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Yummy New Spaghetti Sauce

So, I am planning this event thing for my daughter's school, where we'll be feeding the school staff breakfast. My fabulous sister, who by the way, I hope to someday convince to contribute to this blog (WKM-if you are reading, you know you want to, share all your hostess with the mostess skills with us!!!) gave me a bunch of books with recipe suggestions in them. So sweet!!!

Well, b/c I am, well, easily distracted, I kinda got side tracked and stumbled upon a Spaghetti Sauce recipe that just looked yummy. It's from Paula Deen and Friends' cookbook. I made it yesterday, my husband and I ate it for lunch and then placed some in the fridge and some in the freezer.

It's really yummy. It can be kinda expensive b/c of the amount of ground beef it has in it, but honestly it fills you up, so you don't need a lot, so there is a bunch left over.

Okay, okay...I'll get to the recipe:

Spaghetti Sauce
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (go lean!)
1 large onion, chopped (I used a yellow)
1 green pepper, chopped (forgot it at the store, cooked without it)
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 6oz. cans tomato paste
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (look I just pulled a cup out of a jar of sauce I had in the fridge!)
1 14 1/2 oz. can stewed tomatoes (I used diced)
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning (ugh..yeah..didn't have this either..put a little basil and oregano in)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce (staple at my house)
2 Tbs. Sugar
1 Tsp. salt
1 cup water

Brown beef. Drain. Return beef to pot, adding onion, green pepper and garlic. Saute until onion is tender (3-5 minutes). Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, 1 cup water and seasonings. Simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool. The sauce will keep for several days, covered, in the fridge.

I think the worcestshire sauce and sugar were the big keepers in this recipe. It's a pretty meat-eater kinda dish.

Paired with a nice petite bread loaf and green garden salad with cherry 'matos this would be yum, yum, yummy!

No comments: