Friday, August 22, 2008

A 40th Birthday Weekend Bash

Earlier this year my husband turned 40. Now, apparently 30 was a traumatic birthday for my husband and he was somewhere in Siberia when he turned 30 (that's really the truth he was in Russia in a town called Novosibirsk-which I always imagined as a little village, with chubby Grandmas and chickens, but it turns out it is a gray city with tall unremarkable buildings and a million people..really not a village with chickens...)

Anyway, I wanted to make 40 BIG for him. I am quite a bit younger (Yay for me!) so I don't have to fear what he'll do in return when I turn 40, by then I should have had plenty of time to express my desire for a quiet 40th b-day on a lush island with blue sky and no hint of black anywhere.

Friday at work his co-workers spoiled him with a surprise birthday party.
Saturday morning our neighbors and some old family friends came over for breakfast. Then Saturday night we had a gourmet dinner prepared by Ty's siblings and spouses and we had 2 couples, friends and great musicians join us. We had the best dinner conversation EVER. Seriously, it was great!!! I organized a shower of cards, I think he ended up with over 75 cards to open.

Then Sunday morning we had a lite breakfast with our church and for lunch I just gave Ty the name of a restaurant and the address and he showed up only to find two old friends waiting to have lunch with him.

He had a good time, and the fact that he was turning 40 blew by a lot faster b/c there were so many people to hang out with.

I want to encourage you if you are going to throw a big party for a big birthday, to consider doing it in smaller increments with less people so the guest of honor can visit with everyone.

I have pictures....I'll post soon.

No comments: