Monday, August 4, 2008

Mini Meat Loaves

I got this recipe from Cooking Light when my husband was in Graduate School and I was trying to learn how to cook. It's pretty easy and it is very good. I prefer it in the winter when it is cooler outside, but sometimes you just need some comfort food.

Mini Meat Loaves

Total Time: 35 minutes

1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 pound ground sirloin (leanest hamburger you can find)
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I use Pepperidge Farm stuffing in blue bag)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray dish with cooking spray. (I uses a square glass casserole dish) Combine ketchup and mustard, stirring well with a whisk. Reserve 2 1/2 tablespoons of mixture. (This part gets a little messy-so be prepared to not answer the phone, fix a 3 year old a drink and scratch your nose) Combine remaining mixture, beef and next 6 ingredients (beef through egg) in a large bowl, stirring to combine. (I use my hands-hey, they are going to get dirty anyway!) Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4x21/2 inch loaf, place loaves in dish. Spread reserve ketchup mixture on top of each loaf.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done. Serving size:1 loaf

I typically serve with a green veggie, taters (mashed or scalloped cheesy ones out of box) or rice and green salad.

No comments: